Sunday, February 25, 2007

Next Door

I don't know them
we've only met.
they're new.

It's funny,
all the training in human behavior
all those years reading people and knowing in an instant
what is going on...

And here I sit, quietly
minding my own business...

I can hear them.
I like them as people,
young couple.
'...um, we're not exactly married, he's my fiance'
(-she said when I referred to him as her husband.')
-'oh, very well then... well you two are a lovely couple.'
(She also likes the loud male black cat who comes around hollering all hours of the day and night... (he used to have a crush on my youngest one...)

I hear ALL the couple things
the loud talks
sometimes yelling
I think I've heard someone crying once
I've heard them making love
(They are, actually, quiet, decent people... we just have thin walls.)

I try not to pee into the center of the toilet,
just, you know, out of respect, when their home...

It's a funny thing,
your door opens
their door opens
and it's all sorts of fun banter and 'how ya doing.'
-when to an extent I already know...
(I can hear when they shower and know when they cook...)

I'm just the quiet guy who plays music and works on stuff at home.
(I am, also, truth be told, better with the stove...)

But that doesn't matter.
It's half passed nine on a Sunday night.
They're talking about something, and I can hear the muffle of voices.
He laughs,
She laughs,
someone is attempting something with tomato puree
(thank God the exhaust fan is on.)

I love their laughter.
They have such expressive voices...
And all the time in the world.

This thing:
Neighbors...
It's good.

5 comments:

lime said...

ah, a new site.....i like

neighbors, yes...a very good thing when they are good folk that make you smile.

Anne Coleman said...

Oh...neighbors are good except when WE are the neighbors! 7 kids and all...oye.

I bet the prose coming from the men next door would read quite different!

Christine Autrand Mitchell said...

I like it. I think I prefer this site. You're a poet!

The language flows and is full of color.

Keep it up!

Semi-Gloss Lacquer said...

...thank you ladies,,, welcome to my sketchbook... it's, um, personal.. (didn't even know you had written in it until just this evening... sorry for the lack of response..)

Mona said...

To have voices around IS comforting, to have noise isnt...