Wednesday, February 21, 2007

...I didn't know about it until, you know like, long after we were serious.
(serious, how serious... married?)
-yeah actually.

I mean, you never know, and it doesn't really bother me, you just don't really suspect it to look at first...
(suspect?)

-well, you know, some folks you can just tell, that they're different.
(..different.)

-just you know, not like everybody else, not suspecting such a thing.
(...different?)

Well, she just doesn't dress out of the ordinary, and you'd just never suspect
(suspect... different.... what?)

All down her....
um...
back.

She just has these, um, well, places for rings...
(...rings... -what do you mean rings...?)

Rings, dammit, you know, rings, like earrings, but they're not.
(...rings?)

Yeah... and they'res got to be, hell, I dunno, twenty, or so on each side...
(...rings...)
Yeah.

It's for a ribbon that she wears...
(...a ribbon?)
Well, yeah, I mean, it kind of laces up like that, like you know, on a sneaker or a corset or something...
(?)

Yeah, well, she just likes it I guess...
(?)
(...you never knew about...)
No.

(..so how does she, I mean, what happens so that she..... jeez... rings?)
Yeah.... she needs me to lace the ribbon on...
(...really?)
Yeah... really...

(...and you never knew...)
Swear to God, had no idea...

(-Um, yeah, sweetheart, I'll go with a Liverwurst and onion with Swiss on Pumpernickle, and I'll go with the polish mustard too... huh? no, no mayo.... sure, the pickle is fine... kosher if you got it... thanks... You eatin?)
Nah.

-Ike's Deli, Levittown, 1993

No comments: